As I type, I am conducting an experiment. And Little One is my subject. Here is why.
We've been hanging in there pretty ok the last week or so, and I hate to risk jinxing myself (again) but I think that we may have reached the apex of the GERDishness and are beginning a slow, halting, but progressive decrescendo.
She still gets fussy around 6pm, but doesn't really gather steam until around 8. The best part is we've been pretty well able to get her to be asleep in her cradle at 10, so that's only really 2 hours of Little One's operetics, so that's not so bad. (She may only sleep 20 minutes, but at least the crying stops then)
Even better, we thought, was that with the help of my new friend the Pacifier (that's a whole other post) the last few days we've even been able to get away with not much actual screaming at all. We still do the Living Room Marathon. We still turn her this way and that way, like a little rotisserie, trying to help her get comfier, and we do enlist the Pacifier's services pretty heavily in those 2 hours, but the volume level is blessedly low. I mean, in comparrison.
Last night, in fact, she slept practically through the whole thing. We thought we'd put one over on Little One. We sat there on the couch, J and I, looking at her closed little eyes and, especially, at her closed little mouth, and said, "hee hee!" and just thought that we were really getting away with something. Something even better than when we tricked the dogs into thinking ice was a treat so we could save a small fortune in milk bones. We thought we'd won ourselves a night of freedom!
Sadly, no.
Little One does not shirk her responsibilities. She woke up right around bedtime to find herself being put into pajamas. She knew that this could mean only one thing- she had totally missed an appointment. Slept right through her nightly obligations! So, being responsible and not wanting to skip out on her duties, she promptly made up for lost time. She made up for it all. night. long. ALL night long.
So, tonight, which has turned out to be another miracle night in which she seemed not to be in much discomfort and therefore not shrieking, I decided to do an experiment. Starting about 7pm, Little One and I had some special "mommy and me" time. We played games, read books, sang songs. We listened to music, did some tummy time, made faces at each other. Anything to STAY AWAKE.
Then, about a half hour before usual bedtime, when she had really just about had it, I plopped her in the cradle. SO. The hypothesis is that she will be so tired that she will NOT stay up crying all night, and that she will even maybe sleep for several hours *in a row*.
What do you think? Any predictions? Will it work? Am I a scientific genious, or just a really really, really mean mom? I probably know what Little One would pick. But she lost her vote last night, somewhere around 3am.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments from the Peanut Gallery go here: Let's hear it, Peanuts!